Does someone have an example of broadcasting data around a network using
Ruby, both sender and receiver code?

In case someone has a better suggestion (particularly one that doesn't
require writing any code), I'll explain what I'm trying to do ...

What I want to do is implement a facility to cut/paste across machines on
my network.

I run my mail and news clients on the machine that's connected to the internet,
but generally sit in front of one of a couple of other machines. I use VNC to
access mail and news.

Often, I read something interesting in a web browser on the machine
I'm sitting in front of and want to paste it into a message to send to
someone else.

Currently, I put it in a temporary file on an NFS mount, cat that file on
the central machine and the do the cut and paste there.

What I'd like to do is write a pair of X programs (Tk, GTK, whatever),
one for the central machine, to read strings and display them, ready for
cut/paste (or, if I'm feeling adventurous, stick them straight into the X
paste buffer or KDE's multi-line one).

The other program would run on the machine I'm working on, to allow me to
cut/paste strings to be sent to the other one.

I could write this such that the central one is a server and the others
send it messages, but I'd prefer to make it work via broadcast, so I can
pick up the strings on any one of the machines.