eastcoastcoder / gmail.com wrote:
> I see that a lot of Rubyists like using XML Builder to generate XML.
> why took this even further with markaby to generate HTML.
>
> My question is: why?  In what way is Builder any easier, clearer, more
> succint than simpling using an ERB template?  I find that Builder is
> about the same length, with about the same structure, only introducing
> an extra conversion.  For what?

Uses plain Ruby.  No '<' '>" thingies. Automagic encoding of special
characters.  Less chance of error.  Focus on structure and logic, not
incidentals of the markup format.

Sure, for smallish things it may be overkill, but otherwise it is quite
handy, especially for the angle-bracket-phobic

> The reason I'm asking is that I see that a lot of bright, experienced
> Ruby programmers use it, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something or
> not.

Perhaps not.  Season to taste.

--
James Britt