"John N. Alegre" <info / johnalegre.net> writes:

> If I use the installed /usr/bin/irb everything works fine.  What did I
> break?  Another question is if the Hivelogic info is correct.  Is there a
> way to get Rails working with stock OS X ruby.
>
> (I have OS X 10.4.3 which comes with Ruby 1.8)

I had readline troubles with Ruby 1.8.4 too (I have OS X 10.3, which
came with a much older version of Ruby, but I had already upgraded to
to Ruby 1.8 without trouble). I finally gave up trying to fix it
myself and installed the DarwinPorts version of Ruby 1.8.4. Then I had
no trouble with Ruby on Rails. Here's what worked for me

  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~theaney/RubyOnRails/osx.html

I hope this helps,

Tim