On 2/12/06, James Britt <james_b / neurogami.com> wrote:
> > But my point was that if you go here http://rubygarden.org/
> > and scroll down a bit you'll see that there is a list of over
> > 23 personal ruby blogs from developers. This is not even a very
> > complete list. My personall rss feeds are almost as big
> > and half of them are not listed on rubygarden.
>
> Which was part of the point I was trying to make.

Sorry I didn't mean to come across with any attitude but
I think on re-reading your post and my post I think I miss understood
you at first glance.

First email of the day, some slack should be cut :)

> > It would be really nice if we could get a http://planet.ruby-lang.org
> > Look at Planet Gnome for an example http://planet.gnome.org
>
> How does such an aggregator acquire all the pertinent feeds? Is it any
> harder than maintaining a wiki page?  Is there a reliable Google search
> that will return a list of Ruby RSS/Atom feeds?
>
> Perhaps I misunderstand how such "planet" feeds work, but I don't really
> want to read every post from every blogger who asserts some manner of
> Rubytude.  Nor do I want someone else deciding what feeds are worthy of
> inclusion.  I want to pick and choose, and add the feeds of choice to my Bloglines account.

That's entirely your choice, there will be nobody pointing
guns at you demanding that you view any web pages that
you don't want to, nor will any existing pages be deleted stopping
you from carrying on your current activities ;)

Its really quite a simple setup, the aggregate software
is hosted here, OSS free download, requires python to run though.
http://www.planetplanet.org/

You need a web server to run the software obviously, and
an active maintainer is also necessary because you must
setup which blogs you want monitored, planet will then
catch new posts and.. well.. aggregate them into a website.
Yes, it should be setup to show which feeds it is monitoring,
as well as having google searchable rss links.

The website is also skinable, check out sites running planets

http://planet.gnome.org
http://planetkde.org/
http://planet.mozilla.org/
http://planet.perl.org/
http://www.planetpython.org/
http://planetjava.org/

> Now, there is this site:
>
> http://rubyplanet.net/
>
> But I can't find its RSS or Atom feed, nor can I see what blogs it is
> collecting.  Appears to be a RailsPlanet site, though. (And, unrelated
> gripe, it links to an outdated Ruby library reference.)

That does not seem to be running the planet software that I
I am trying to suggest, I agree with your gripes that is a
really poor website (apologies to the maintainer).

> > For the time being artima has something similar listed here
> > http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123
> >
> > But having a good url makes a world of difference (pun intentional).
>
> Only if you know it.

Well ideally I would say a google search for "ruby blog" should
return an aggregate type planet of all ruby developers instead
of just, oh just for example, Matz blog (if he even has one, which
is probably written in Japanese if it exists).

Now google could quite easily return these as its top two results:
#1 http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123/
#2 http://planet.ruby-lang.org/

Which do you think will get more clicks, further more, which _should_
be getting more clicks? All kudos's to artima, but they're mainly
a java house iirc, so having a choice between being on a sub domain of
a java house, or having a specific ruby planet I would have to say the
latter is better.

That's all I'm trying to say. I know its probably not going to happen
because I cant personally spend the time, and don't have the
resources or the permission to do so.

But I just thought I would throw this out there and see
what people thought. Its definitly an idea.

--
Alex Combas
http://noodlejunkie.blogspot.com/