On Feb 10, 2006, at 5:20 PM, John Lam wrote:
> I'm just worried that it might introduce bugs in code that use my
> bridge:
>
> p1 = p2 is just so much more intuitive than p1 = p2.clone

In the eye of the beholder...

I like that Ruby insists on uniform semantics for assignment.
As such, I don't ever have to consider if p1 = p2 is really p1 =
p2.clone

Side note:

Is it fair to say that Object#clone should be written such that
b = a.clone always results in (a == b) being true and
(a.equal?(b)) being false?   Is it OK for clone to return self
or should an exception be raised as with Fixnum, Symbol, etc.
when a new instance would break the value/identity semantics of the
class?

Gary Wright