> > Will it eventually be able to do the reverse lookup? Lat/Long to street address?
> >
> > Ed
>
> Hm, I don't know of any system, commercial or otherwise, that does
> this. Geocoding is a relatively inexact science to begin with (re:
> interpolation of street number ala TIGER/Line), I would be surprised
> if anyone's doing this reliably. That said, it could be done if you
> massively indexed the lat/lng side and had a best guess algorithm that
> used a nearest() function or the like. ... To answer your question,
> no, no plans to add that functionality to Geocoder.

For my gf's senior project, she made a device for the blind that
basically did this; you hit a button and it tells you your current
street address (other buttons for nearest landmarks, etc).  It's
written in C, but I've been thinking of porting it to ruby just for
fun.  The accuracy isn't any better than TIGER/Line's accuracy, but
it's generally usable.  Anyhow, it can be done :)