Da tvrtok 09 Februr 2006 23:26 Logan Capaldo napsal:
> On Feb 9, 2006, at 5:01 PM, David Vallner wrote:
> > And with the good and bad of it, SQL is -the- standard RDBMS query
> > language,
> > so that would restrict KirbyBase to small / personal projects where
> > you're
> > sure you'll never change DB backends.
>
> Not true, KirbyBases' format is easily parseable and editable by hand
> as well. It also accessible from Python.

I said switching DB -backends-, not what I access it with. I can to some
extent drop one SQL DBMS in place of another without changing the code
accessing it. I can't for example use KB to prototype an application and then
switch over to Postgres for scalability without rewriting my DB query code.

This is of course not an issue when using an ORM layer, and use of SQL doesn't
quite save you from having to do DB migration - even if dumping the schema
and data as SQL statements might help. Sounds like a potentially useful
feature for KB, is it already present? If not, it sounds arguably somewhat
easier to implement than a KB query-to-SQL compiler.

> > Also, why would someone that already knows SQL choose KirbyBase
> > over SQLite?
> > The latter installs very easily too.
>
> Well kirbybase is precisely 1 file of ruby sourcecode. Doesn't get
> much easier than that, especially if you need to deploy elsewhere.

SQLite is one DLL, and one gem installation. I've walked managers through
that. More complicated, yes, but I can't imagine a deployment scenario where
on would pose significantly more problems than the other. Well, except
atomically packaging the application as a gem.

David Vallner