On Friday 10 February 2006 04:54 am, David Vallner wrote:
> I had a look at Tile, and it looks promising too. But I tried doing some
> Ruby/Tk, and didn't quite "click" with the toolkit. There's also the fact
> that Tcl/Tk's white performance elephant in the middle of the room is even
> heavier than Ruby's - I don't know whether the Ruby binding binds
> "directly" to the Tk code or goes through an embedded Tcl interpreter it
> controls.
>
> Personally, I'm pondering giving the GTK or QT bindings a look, although I
> don't know what state the latter is in, or if there are more extensive KDE
> bindings available. The GTK binding should be pretty usable from what I've
> heard. I'm also waiting for wxRuby 2 to go final, since I actually have
> experience with the toolkit, and had some better experience using it on my

Well, I'll reply in the middle of the paragraph. I usually think about ruby
bindings; how much they are complete and are they stable the bindings are
compared to others. Qt might be the best toolkit to use, however the ruby
bindings are not frozen yet, hence I don't want to use it until rdale stops
modifying how the toolkit works. He just made the signal/slots similar to how
rails works. GTK is very stable and one of the two top best at stability. Tk
is the most stable of course, being around longer since all of the other
toolkits, and now in 1.8.4 having the method to switch all the tk methods to
use tile so the developer doesn't have to call on tile widgets. FOX is okay,
but when you don't call methods right, you end up with crappy code because
you can't find which method you called wrong when you have a 5000 line
script. I don't write line by line, execute as I type each out like a new
programmer, I write half complete programs before I start testing.

> Windows box than GTK. Mind you, all of this was a looong time ago, I
> haven't been doing any GUI programming since over a year, and even then it
> was from necessity Windows Forms of .NET 1.1 infamy *shudder*.

For the finale!
*Laughs*