On 2/9/06, Ed Howland <ed.howland / gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Will it eventually be able to do the reverse lookup? Lat/Long to street address?
>
> Ed

Hm, I don't know of any system, commercial or otherwise, that does
this. Geocoding is a relatively inexact science to begin with (re:
interpolation of street number ala TIGER/Line), I would be surprised
if anyone's doing this reliably. That said, it could be done if you
massively indexed the lat/lng side and had a best guess algorithm that
used a nearest() function or the like. ... To answer your question,
no, no plans to add that functionality to Geocoder.

By the way, I just pushed a 0.1.1 release to Rubyforge: it fixes a
minor issue with the gem, removing the redundant require statement
after require_gem.

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=1304

-Paul

--