I think you meant this one:
http://www.poignantguide.net/ruby/

Use Rails, and not vanilla Ruby. It will save you a lot of time.

Please do yourself a favor, and use a database, and no XML files.
Databases are where Rails shines, it will be much easier than a XML files.

If you are willing to buy a book, I recommend "Programming Ruby - The
Pragmatic Programmer's Guide v2"

but you can also use (the slightly outdated) v1: http://
www.rubycentral.com/book/

For a book on Rails: