I'd say your best bet would be to start with a couple of Ruby
tutorials to get a hang of the idioms (blocks being one of the most
important ones) that make Ruby easy to use and maybe try writing a few
small programs in Ruby (preferablly ones that you'd actually use) and
then jump into Rails.

Even as a beginner you shouldn't have too much trouble using Rails,
but you definitley benefit from understanding where and how its power
and flexibility come from.

Chris Pine's tutorial is supposed to be very good even for people
who've never programmed before (I haven't read it personally):
http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

I personally learned Ruby from the Pickaxe v2, which I found to be the
best book on a programming language that I've ever read (version 1 is
available online: http://ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/

If you're up for something a bit more difficult, strange, and
wonderful, you should give _why's poignant guide a try (it's got
cartoon foxes!): http://ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/

As for Rails, I personally couldn't get much out of most of the online
documents on it.  I got the Agile Web Development book and that
cleared up a lot for me.  In any case here's a list of Rails tutorials
and documentation, youre mileage may vary:
http://www.rubyonrails.org/docs

--
-Dan Nugent