On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:58:26AM +0900, petermichaux / yahoo.com wrote:
} I've had to start using JavaScript to make a DHTML interface. After
} learning Ruby I feel like I'm taking a giant step back in productivity
} and fun by using JavaScript. PITA.

That probably means you are using it wrong. Or you are running up against
cross-browser incompatibilities. JavaScript is a very nice language when
used properly.

} Any moves out there to get Ruby imbeded in browsers?
}
} How about Ruby as a client-side scripting web standard? (Maybe it would
} have to be Ruby Light with the file accessors removed.)

The biggest problem with JavaScript is incompatible APIs across browsers.
Adding Ruby to the mix would only make cross-browser compatibility more
difficult. Unless you could magically get everyone out there to
simultaneously switch to a browser that provided client-side Ruby scripting
in exactly the same way, it would only add to the mess.

If you really want client-side Ruby, start working on a
Ruby-to-ActionScript (or Flash bytecode) compiler.

} Thanks,
} Peter
--Greg