I can't help but think that I am not the only one here that thinks this
is, to put it kindly, silly.

Suggestions:
;;  - probably the worst idea I can think of. Too easy to miss, looks
like a typo to a C, C++, or Java programmer

end <something> - this is VB-ish .. gives me the shakes just to look at
it!

{} - as a C/C++/etc developer, I can read this but it WILL engender
brace placement wars, probably started by me! :-)

I was attracted to ruby in part BECAUSE of the simple syntax. I've not
had one problem with the end construct, ever. Just use indentation,
which you should anyway for general clarity, and its done.

Keith