> Subset Sum and Partition problem are similar, I agree that this quiz
> is closer to a Partition problem. However, if we consider the Subset
> Sum problem: given a set of integers and an integer k, find a subset
> whose sum is k? We can apply a subset sum algorithm to find the
> possible subset that sums to the fair share for the first "pirate",
> and then work in the same way on the remaining elements for the other
> pirates.

Not without backtracking... suppose you have the treasures [1 2 3 4 5 6]
to be split among three pirates. If the subset sum algorithm finds the
treasures [1 2 4] for the first pirate it is impossible to divide the
remaining treasures [3 5 6] among the remaining two pirates even though
there exists a valid solution [1 6] [2 5] [3 4].

// Niklas