Stu Glaser wrote:
> Actually, it's more closely related to the Partition problem (which is
> also NP-Complete).  (In fact, the 2-person instance is the Partition
> problem).

Subset Sum and Partition problem are similar, I agree that this quiz is
closer to a Partition problem. However, if we consider the Subset Sum
problem: given a set of integers and an integer k, find a subset whose
sum is k? We can apply a subset sum algorithm to find the possible
subset that sums to the fair share for the first "pirate", and then work
in the same way on the remaining elements for the other pirates.

Cheers,
Antonio
--
Zen and the Art of Ruby Programming