Da Piatok 03 Februr 2006 21:28 Chris napsal:
> Still don't understand why Smalltalk isn't more popular

1. Don't use lol. Never. Ever. It's not ponctuation, it's not a standalone
sentence, it's not even a proper word, for cripes sake.

2. The Smalltalk image-based paradigm was comfortable, but it had its
disadvantages too. It was very difficult to deploy an application short of
copying over the entire image, and the packaging systems that existed were
largely vendor-specific and pretty much completely incompatible. And speaking
of vendor incompatibility, there's whole sagas to speak there. The fact that
Smalltalk essentially was its IDE also made it hard to remotely patch up a
server you actually made to run on a headless machine. Etcetcetc.

Smalltalk was / is a great language, but it got a -lot- of very essential
things wrong, so I don't really wonder about the end of the ST era.

Personally, I prefer the fact I very rarely actually need an IDE for Ruby
because everything is so damn intuitive, but KDevelopis my homie for the
creature comforts of organizing files in a project and syntax highlighting
when I don't feel like switching over to XEmacs all the time.

David Vallner