On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 23:23:36 -0000, Mark Volkmann
<r.mark.volkmann / gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/4/06, James Edward Gray II <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
>> On Feb 4, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Mark Volkmann wrote:
>>
>> > I'm confused about whether the Date class is built-in or in the
>> > standard library.
>>
>> It's a standard library.
>>
>> > I can use it without requiring it in irb, so that tells me it's
>> > built-in.
>>
>> Na, that tells you that irb requires it somewhere.  :)
>
> Then why does this code run?
>
> d = Date.new
> puts "d is a #{d.class}"
>
> This is telling me that there is a built-in Date class and there is
> another one in the Standard Library.

Just curious, what is your output from this code?

	p 1 if defined? Date
	require 'irb'
	p 2 if defined? Date
	require 'rubygems'
	p 3 if defined? Date

I just get 3 (which I think is expected). Do you require rubygems in your
..irbrc? or $RUBYOPTS?

--
Ross Bamford - rosco / roscopeco.remove.co.uk