Hey Oliver,

I'm using 4.0.25 and I think it's self compiled or came installed
already.  Unfortunately, I can't remember if I installed it by hand,
but for sure it wasn't using RPMs, because I don't see such tracings
in /usr/src/redhat...

I'm still checking to see how MySQL got there.  heh

So, I assume by your comment that all mysql installations should have
a mysql_config?

Here are a few mysql files/folders I found on my system:

/usr/bin/safe_mysqld
/usr/bin/mysql  ...mysqldump, etc
/usr/include/mysql/libmysqlclient.so
/usr/include/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.10
/usr/include/mysql
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.10
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.12
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient_r.so
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient_r.so.10
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient_r.so.12
/usr/lib/mysql
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.10.0.0
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.12.0.0
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient_r.so.10.0.0
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient_r.so.12.0.0

/usr/sbin/mysqld
/usr/share/mysql

I'll see if I can find out how it was installed...

Thanks,
Richard