> I   looked for an application that would let me explore most of the
> functionality of Rails in some kind of logical order.

And I think it may well do that for me once I understand what is going
on, but it is going too fast for me too glitsy. It is probably just
what a pro wants who can tell at a glance what is going on.

For me, I want to talk to my database. That has something to do with
the model. The scaffold puts in too big pieces all at once...and I have
to decipher html, ruby which is fairly new... the scafold  shows me
what can be done, but I need to go slower, find a tutorial explaining
how to talk to a database, read the reference part of the book, look at
the example, write my first ruby code in rails, baby steps a few lines
of codes at a time.

So the book is for folks who are more advanced than I am. But if it
wasn't for the book, there wouldn't be all the tutorials, interest, and
ordinary folks like me would not be trying! ... So
I am glad the book is there for the front waves, and hopefully with
time, it will be there for me too.