On Feb 4, 2006, at 5:08 AM, Christian Neukirchen wrote:

> While I don't agree with your view on the Pickaxe, I think you are
> right with respect to AWDWG, I didn't like the store example
> either---though it's of course a good application to use Rails for.
>
> Therefore, I actually only skimmed the tutorial part and went right on
> the reference... if you know what you want/need, this approach works
> good for me.

This is really interesting feedback.

When I chose the store, it wasn't because I wanted to build a store,
or because I thought most people would want to build on. Instead, I
looked for an application that would let me explore most of the
functionality of Rails in some kind of logical order. It turned out a
store was rich enough to do that, but simple enough that the
application-specific functionality didn't get in the way. The intent
was to teach Rails, not to teach how to build a store.

Cheers

Dave