On 4 Feb 2006, at 12:38, Gene Tani wrote:

> co-ercing, or even just *encouraging* people to use an editor
> leads to tension,

Only if they're idiots who don't understand vim is the one and true
way. :-)

> like source code management, GUI development, if they're also doing
> python/perl, C/C++/Java or other (y'know, PHP) coding etc.

All of which can be handled with all the editors on the planet
coupled with a window on a command-line in the background.

Coders need to code in the editor they are used to, period. I want
vim (occasionally TextMate, cos hey, it's there), the next guy wants
emacs, some want TextMate 100% of the time, and they all work.

It's just that vim works better. :-)

> this list has noted textmate undo leaves something to be desired, and
> komodo debugging rails has issues, if you "Search this Group" .  Have
> you looked at Jedit also?

You know, I've never heard of a Jedit-"fan". Are there any here? I've
never dabbled with it much because it's Java and I still think of
Java as being slow and cludgy. Is it worth a play?

Incidentally, on Windows, the Cream extension of vim is truly lovely.