> Hello all,
>
> I'm using Ruby on Debian GNU/Linux.  Ruby itself
> and its standard library were installed as Debian
> packages.  Now, I want to add Ruby libraries
> which aren't standard part of Ruby.  What do
> people do?  I heard of "rubygem".  Is it a packaging
> system for Ruby?  How does it interact with the
> packaging system of Debian?
>
> I could just download the sources of those libraries
> and install them under ~/lib/ruby or /usr/local/lib/ruby
> or some such places.  But, I guess there are better,
> more organized, and standard ways.

RubyGems is a separate packaging system that doesn't cause any
conflicts with Debian's package system (apt).  RubyGems, for me, tends
to work extremely well and I use it often.

As far as getting it installed, there's the documentation on the Wiki site:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/RailsOnUbuntuDebianTestingAndUnstable

My approach was slightly different.  Instead of building from source I
just to them through apt:

apt-get install rubygems

Michael Trier