On 4 Feb 2006, at 00:07, tsumeruby / tsumelabs.com wrote:

> I'd seriously like this to be the other way around. Head hunters
> which are
> programmer peer reviewed! :)

None Shall Pass. Seriously, they really don't get the work we do.
Programmers should headhunt other programmers - it's the only way it
can work. Sure, HR can make sure the guy/gal is able to dress himself
(if it's that kind of boring place where they require people to be
dressed), but the core skills just can't be grasped by RC/headhunter-
types if you ask me.

> I've never had to look/apply for a job, but I suppose other people
> work
> differently.

You're either very young, very rich, very poor and don't mind or very
lucky. :-)

I'd like not to have to look/apply for work. How'd you do it?

> I don't have a problem with personal requests, but when commercial
> like
> content starts floating to a list, I think..
>
> "*running on horse* The capitalists are coming!"

I'm British you know. And Capitalist(*). If I weren't such a nice
chap, I'd think you were mocking me. :-)

At the end of the day, we only get to write as much code as we do,
because somebody somewhere is prepared to give us the money we need
for food/shelter to write that code. I'd rather do this for a living
than, say, have to be an accountant or a management consultant. As a
short-term contract freelancer, I am looking for work *CONSTANTLY*.
Apart from the Summer when I like to try and spend my time staring at
clouds. But during the Winter, I am a code-whore, through and through.

Plus you're assuming all of us are in it just for the money - when
I'm earning, a substantial piece of my income goes to good causes.

> When this happens, he means a place is no longer a heaven where
> programmers
> can just talk about ruby, but need to be bothered by the "norms" ;)

Point taken. Like I said, I'm happy keeping my commercial discussions
away from here, and think others can be encouraged to do the same. As
long as we all know where those discussions are, which I believe
includes http://jobs.rubynow.com/

(*) I was once described as a Trotsky entry-ist, but he was drunk and
I was beating him at cards...

--
Paul Robinson