On Saturday 04 February 2006 08:30 am, Paul Robinson wrote:
> OT: I once came up with a business plan where a recruitment agency/
> headhunting firm would be staffed entirely by techs working in the
> industry checking out other people's CV's and work part-time and then
> when a job came in from a firm they would be able to say "Hey, I know
> this guy over at such-and-such who would be perfect, let me ask if
> he's around..." and would pick up a fee, a la agencies.
>
> That way, you'd get firms knowing they can trust the people coming
> forward because they are peer-reviewed, and recruitment agencies
> would not be filled with people who think UNIX are men without
> testicles.

I'd seriously like this to be the other way around. Head hunters which are
programmer peer reviewed! :)

> Anyway, I look for work constantly and am happy going to the websites
> - I think this place should be somewhere to hide out and talk
> programming, not somewhere I have to be on best behaviour.

I've never had to look/apply for a job, but I suppose other people work
differently.

> P.S. if anybody is looking for a Ruby and/or Rails coder in the North
> West of England, or in fact any European city I can get to, I have a
> gap in my schedule coming up... :-)

I don't have a problem with personal requests, but when commercial like
content starts floating to a list, I think..

"*running on horse* The capitalists are coming!"

When this happens, he means a place is no longer a heaven where programmers
can just talk about ruby, but need to be bothered by the "norms" ;)

Tsume