On 3 Feb 2006, at 21:18, Doug H wrote:

> Thomas Kirchner wrote:
>>>
>>> end do
>>
>> My first reaction was "end each"...  After all, "do" and "end" are
>> just
>> the keywords.  "end <something>" should refer to the actual construct
>> you're ending, not just a keyword.
>
> You're ending a closure block, which starts with "do".

I've been following this quietly. Just thought I'd drop in a thought
here. Quietly.

I don't get why you would want that "do" there. It would be a little
like finishing every paragraph with the statement "I have now
finished this paragraph". I have now finished this paragraph.

To me, I'm able to track the "end" and see what it matches to.
Earlier in this thread somebody said if there were more than 3 or 4
end statements in a row, your code is written incorrectly, and they
probably have a good point. I really don't see what you're trying to
do with this - I'd just think we had ended one block, of type unknown
or unimportant, and now we were starting another "do" block. I have
now finished this paragraph.

As for punctuation, well, I suspect the people who think stray '}'
and ';' or ';;' tags everywhere have come here from Perl: a language
whose sole objective is to find a use for every single symbol on the
keyboard. It is so un-Ruby when I first saw those mails I wanted to
make a little pile of sick next to me in disgust. I didn't, but I
wanted to. A little bit, at least. I have now finished this paragraph.

Keep Ruby where it is, and if you somehow end up writing code that is
hard to read, you've learnt Ruby wrong and you need to re-write your
code, simple as that. My Mum says re-factoring makes you strong and
able to see in the dark, so make sure you do it regularly. I have now
finished this paragraph.

My 2p. I have now finished this paragraph. I have now finished this e-
mail.

(apart from the sig)
--
Paul Robinson