I want to write a pure Ruby implementation of W3C's XML
encryption/signature specifications, but while spec:ing
it out, it struck me there is no general-use crypto
foundation available in Ruby.

It also seems all of today's Ruby crypto libraries rely
on native code, mostly OpenSSL, and the bindings seem
related to specific functionality, like Net::SSH.

One of the things I like about Java is its extensible
crypto architecture, JCA/JCE.  If there was a Ruby
equivalent, it would be easier to build services on
top of it, like XML signing and so on.

Anybody got any more thoughts about this?  Any interest
in working on this?

Thanks,
Hans