On 2/3/06, Chris <cpmbailey / btinternet.com> wrote:
> After years of programming in C++, Java et al my new job used Smalltalk
> which I have now been completely sold on :) I would like to progress
> into Ruby with it being similar and one of the up and coming dynamic
> languages of choice. Still don't understand why Smalltalk isn't more
> popular though lol.

Join the club. I also don't understand why Smalltalk isn't more
popular. The only explanation I have is that Smalltalk environments
where expensive at the time that Java hit the scene. Of course now you
can use Squeak and maybe other Smalltalk environments for free, but
the damage has been done. It's tough to resurrect a past language once
the crowd has moved on.

> However the thing I probably most like is the binary image and multiple
> window IDE with Smalltalk; navigation through code seems so much easier
> than file based. Is there a Ruby IDE that anyone can recommend that will
> make me want to choose it over Smalltalk?

I'm not aware of any Ruby IDE is that is really like a Smalltalk environment.

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Partner, Object Computing, Inc.