ara.t.howard / noaa.gov wrote:

> which toggled the yaml output style from the standard one to an inline
> one.  it
> blows up now (1.8.4) with
>
>   NoMethodError: undefined method `<<' for nil:NilClass

Yeah, you can't write directly to the output stream any longer.  But the
emitter is much smarter, more capable now (and utterly non-rdoc'd).

In current versions, you can define a `to_yaml_style' method which
expects a symbol describing how to output the object.  In this case,
you'll want to reply with :inline.

  >> hsh = {'to' => 'ara.t.howard / noaa.gov', 'x-mail-count' => 178223,
'from' => 'why / ruby-lang.org'}
  >> def hsh.to_yaml_style; :inline end
  => nil
  >> y [hsh, {'Subject' => 'Re: YAML::quick_emit api change'}]
  ---
  - {from: why / ruby-lang.org, x-mail-count: 178223, to:
ara.t.howard / noaa.gov}
  - Subject: "Re: YAML::quick_emit api change"
  => nil

> i checked in the docs and am reading the source now - but the fix
> isn't jumping
> out at me.  any ideas?

I just need to improve the rdoc.  What a sorry state I've left us all in!

_why