Did you make sure to require rubygems first?  Here's my install:

[zedshaw@dinky ~]$ irb -rubygems
irb(main):001:0> require 'mongrel'
=> true
irb(main):002:0>
[zedshaw@dinky ~]$
irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require 'mongrel'
=> true
[zedshaw@dinky ~]$ irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'mongrel'
LoadError: no such file to load -- http11
        from ./mongrel.rb:2:in `require'
        from ./mongrel.rb:2
        from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0>

If you do irb -rubygems then it works. If you require 'rubygems' first it
works.  If you do neither it blows up.

Let me know if that fixes it for you.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/