In message
<dd533d4b0602030248o663df9c1s42914c58dfe2ef4b / mail.gmail.com>, chiaro
scuro <kiaroskuro / gmail.com> writes
>In Italy you might also get a SIAE inspector (our local RIIA) giving you a
>fine if the song you are singing in the pub is copyrighted :-)  What a sad
>state of affairs.

We have that too. Its all over Europe and also in the US. Each has its
own form. Typically you need a license for a copyright work performance
and also for the playback of the same work via a jukebox and so on.
However these are not issued by the government and are not laws of the
land (whereas the situation I described is law on the statute book)
although they are enforceable via copyright law.

I attend 2 to 3 regular licensed (legal) music events and up to 9
illegal music events a month. I'm in breach of the law for playing a
mandolin or bagpipe in a public house! Step outside onto the footpath
and I am perfectly legal. What a sad world.

I notice the RIAA are suing a woman that has never used a computer.
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/06/02/03/0313250.shtml

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett