>> The semicolons, imho, aren't visible enough to the (my?) eye. I still
>> believe that the curly brace to END is a decent option as it already
>> is familiar to many others

I agree. Although using semicolons sounded a good idea for me, when I
saw:

def foo()
  blah blah
  blah blah
  if blah blah
    ;;;;

I haven't liked them. But curly braces may me quite better. Yes... I
think it's worth to try without totally removing the "end"s. Just an
optional implementation. I am already *very happy* with Ruby's many
optional solutions. One may use or not "then"s, one may write a single
line conditional without using "end"s etc.

def foo()
  blah blah
  if blah blah
    blah blah }