I'm out of my league, but...

On 2/2/06, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> We are experimenting double semicolons as well as "end"s,
> But I'm still not sure if it's good enough to be remained in 2.0.
> No, don't worry, we are NOT going to remove "end"s from the language;
> double semicolons are just alternative.

why?  quite seriously, and quite naively, I don't understand the benefit.

Maybe it's just me, but the

 class Foo
   def bar(a)
     p a;;;;

looks really different from the (current) standard

class Foo
  def bar(a)
    p a

It sounds to me like it'll make reading ruby libraries / code a bit
more difficult since both can exist.  Is it worth that price?  Am I
missing something?

Cameron