From: anne001 [mailto:anne / wjh.harvard.edu]

#established earning good salaries who have therefore gotten religion.
#Or the others did not say anything.

me think that you are honest. that is only what matters to me.

#Here is my problem with the pickaxe, as posted recently on a pickaxe
#book discussion
#"I have no use for databases,

me love databases. it is the gist/source of all my programming work. it is also where i earn a leaving.

#and the whole book uses one single database example, it

then you are lucky in that it uses only one.

#seems --  I am allergic to the word "song", it shows up too many time
#in that book, every
#other word it seems -- "

Dave et all are good writers. And what they write reflects also on what they also love to do. I presume they love music. And they are pragmatic. Unfortunately, you do not love music i think. That is fine. some people are different. But that does not make the book bad.

#and I had one person in agreement.
#If I can learn ruby in another book, it sounds like the pickaxe will be
#good as reference. So all is not lost.
#
#I have had no access to the ruby way, so I can't say. It is not clear

You might like it since it has a different tone (compared w the pickaxe). Maybe Hal can help you further.

#from this list if the files could be compromised. In any case I would
#want to wait for this summer when the ruby way second edition is
#expected.
#
#Bummer for the Sam's teach yourself ruby not beeing updated.

Slagell's teach yourself is a great book. It's the book we use in the family. I have kids that i want to excel in ruby and i use that book.

btw, It is not easy to write a (good) book. And there is no perfect book either. You might try writing one sometime..

kind regards -botp