On 2/2/06, William James <w_a_x_man / yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jacob Fugal wrote:
> > On 2/2/06, William James <w_a_x_man / yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > If you don't like golf, why watch it?
> >
> > Because the original poster was asking for advice on why it wasn't
> > working, not for a golfing contest.
>
> The fact that his expectations were modest doesn't mean that
> I shouldn't give him a bonus.  One never has to ask for a golfing
> contest, since those who enjoy programming and who test their
> code before they post are always willing to indulge in that pastime.

Let me clarify.

 * I don't mind you golfing on the list/newsgroup.
 * I don't mind you golfing about this task.

What I do mind is threads that were not intended as golfing threads
being hijacked into a golf contest. If I were the OP and posted a
question, then later saw a new post in the thread stemming from that
question, I'd expect useful input or discussion regarding my question.
I am especially touchy about this when golfing replies are posted in
response to a newbie question. While golf can be fun, we don't want
the newbie to get the wrong idea that the techniques used in the golf
are representative of how the code *should* be written.

If you feel the desire to golf, please at least rethread it by
changing (at minimum) the subject line.

Jacob Fugal

PS. And regarding "those who enjoy programming and who test their code
before they post are always willing to indulge in that pastime". I
*usually* check the code I post, you were fortunate to catch me at a
time when my mind was on other things and I was pressed for time.
Since I am not willing to indulge in golf, I must not enjoy
programming then. Dang, and I thought I liked it...