How's the weather down there?

I haven't tried, but it may be possible using the following technique.
Let me know if you need more help doing any of the steps:

1) Using ruby dl, connect to setupapi.dll and kernel32.dll
2) Call the function CM_Locate_DevNode to get the device handle for
the usb drive.
3) Call the function CM_Request_Device_Eject to stop the usb device.

You'll need to do a google search of microsoft.com for each of those
functions to know how to call them.

Dan