Hi group,

My name is Olle, and I'm on Windows at the moment, and I procrastinate
from work by trying to get nmake to compile the Mongrel gem. (I'm a
beginner at compiling.)

I got the nmake1.5 from Microsoft's website, after following the advice
of a blog post on a Perl website.
http://johnbokma.com/perl/make-for-windows.html. I stuck the nmake.exe
and nmake.err in the ruby/bin folder. From there, I could run it.

1. Is nmake 1.50 good enough to compile Mongrel?

2. First I got two error messages from nmake, is this normal behaviour
when compiling gems on Windows? Text-chunk #1 shows these messages.

3. After this, the ouput was as Text-chunk #2 indicates, a Ruby check
for the main() function in the c.lib from Mongrel. With the answer
"no". I take it that this indicates a failure.

4. After the nmake lines I have the happy messages:

  Successfully installed mongrel, version 0.1.0
  Installing RDoc documentation for mongrel-0.1.0...

(I take it these messages are false alarms.)

When I try and run the included script at http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/
under the heading "Usage", I get an error:

   (No such file to load -- mongrel (LoadError)).

Changing the require to require_gem gave antoher error on the first
line where Mongrel is mentioned:

  uninitialized constant Mongrel (NameError)

What would you do in this case? Where can I find out more on nmake and
gems? Thanks in advance,

   Olle Jonsson

===Text-chunk #1:===

C:\Documents and Settings\olle>gem install mongrel
Attempting local installation of 'mongrel'

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 1.50
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
'0x1'
Stop.

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 1.50
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
'0x1'
Stop.

===Text-chunk #2:===

ruby extconf.rb install mongrel