unknown wrote:
> Quoting Jeff Pritchard <jp / jeffpritchard.com>:
>
>> My point is that simultaneous equivalent acts of genius makes
>> for a good urban legend, but seems rather unlikely.
>
> I'm not so sure.
> While there's nothing wrong with penalising deliberate plagarism,
> we'd do well to rid ourselves of the modernist fantasy of frequent
> wholly unique acts of genius.
>
> -mental

Mental,
So Mr. X publishes three seconds before Ms. Y.  Technically, X owns it,
but how many members of the community are going to be outraged by Ms.
Y's efforts to monetize her slightly tardy genius.  Not many.  My point
is that by removing the Lawyers and their need to make everything "a
decision", you allow the community to weigh each incident on its own
merits and make up their minds.  Meanwhile, when some Bill Gates-ish guy
comes along and tries to own yet another space by flat out stealing the
best of what has already been claimed by others...at least a few members
of the community will get ticked off enough to do something about it.

Jeff Pritchard
The Mountain Man