On 30 Jan 2006, at 11:13, Damphyr wrote:

> Oh, they came through my spam filters so I did look at the contents
> and
> they are the genuine article. I would have been more active if
> there was some kind of virus in there.

But the question is, why is somebody sending them out?

I haven't received them, but then I haven't posted to this list much
before. At least it means you can eliminate the route that it was
sent to all subscribers to the mailing list - just people who seem to
post.

So, is this a set-up for a "Ruby programmers are all thieves" story?
I just don't get the purpose. Was there anything else in the mail?

> Thinking about it the Pickaxe 2nd Ed. is really handy as a
> reference therefore nice to have as PDF, but the PP Book is really
> worth it's weight in gold so better get the version that has weight :)

I'd advise you destroy all the PDFs that you received illegally.
They're not yours, you don't own them, it's piracy. You might think
having the PDF is handy, so fine, pay for it.

For what it's worth, the Pragmatic Programmer's series all seem to be
watermarked PDFs if they're legit - I bought the PDFs legally - and
in the footer of each page in the main part of the books, it will say
"Prepared for..." (in my case it says "Paul Robinson") and name the
person involved. I'd suggest sending copies to the PP team so they
can track down who is stealing from them...

--
Paul Robinson