I've been trying to use the WIL32OLE to call the
InternetExplorer.ExecCommand SaveAs command.
I've been able to get it to work in the interface mode
where it displays a dialogue browser to save the file,
but have been unable to get it to work in
non-interface mode where you pass it the file to save
to.

Following is an extract of the code I am using.

require 'win32ole'
ie = WIN32OLE.new('InternetExplorer.Application')
ie.visible = true

myUrl = "http://www.google.com"

ie.navigate myUrl
sleep 1

ie.document.execCommand("SaveAs",false,"C:\\derek\\myFile.htm")