Actually, you are right, that my math was wrong. (All this talk about
loving math and here I am messing it up...)

Some of my 4! permutations overlapped with possible folds...  That is,
"RR" backwards is still "RR", etc.

So really, rather than 4! permutations, I have to not permute the
change the relative order of  [LR] and [TB] folds.  So a 4x4 would be
16 * 6 == 96 possible complete folds.

You are correct, sir.