> I have started playing with Oniguruma a little.
>
> My first two questions deal with building it with 1.8.
>
> 1. One of the five patches failed and I had to apply it
> manually. Can we get this fixed in some way that will
> work for all 1.8.x?

I have checked today Oniguruma 2.5.2
and Ruby 1.8.2/1.8.3/1.8.4 from CVS Repository.

In Cygwin, all of them succeeded.
In Windows, 1.8.4 failed because I have forgotten
to update Makefile of Win32 for Ruby 1.8.4.
So, I have released Oniguruma 2.5.3 a little while ago.

Have you worked on Windows Ruby 1.8.4?

> 2. Would it be possible/practical/desirable to distribute
> Oniguruma as part of 1.8, built optionally? Something
> like ./configure --with-oniguruma ?

Possible.
But I expect that Many people oppose it.

P.S.
I think it is enough for most people, to support
look-behind in Ruby 1.8 regexp engine.
Did anyone challenge it?
--
K.Kosako