== Mongrel 0.1.2

Mongrel is a fast as hell web server library written in (partly)
Ruby.  It is intended to be just enough HTTP 1.1 server to service
requests for any Ruby web application.  It already has an example of
using Camping with more to come (see example/tepee.rb).

You can read a quick RDoc dump of Mongrel at:

	http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/mongrel/

And you can grab 0.1.2 .tar.gz and .gem files at:

	http://www.zedshaw.com/downloads/mongrel/

== Status

Mongrel is still nowhere near ready for prime time full stable usage,
but it can handle a ton of requests and is blazing fast.  Well, it's
fast on my stuff and seems to beat WEBrick for most tasks.  I'll
leave it to others to use httperf  or apachebench (NOT siege please!)
to compare it on their setups.  If you find WEBrick beating Mongrel
then let me know your mix so I can fix that.

The 0.1.2 release sports a nifty fresh all C URIClassifier that's a
hell of a lot faster.  This has made things very quick and could
become the basis for an incredibly good caching mechanism in the
future.  For now though it's just one more piece in the puzzle.  The
new URIClassifier uses http://www.octavian.org/cs/software.html for
it's internal data structure.

This release also will probably have stability issues for folks on
OSX (and possibly other) systems.  I've removed most uses of Threads
within Mongrel as a test to see if it still performs well.  Even
removing threads doesn't help much with OSX as there are still
crashes when running the examples/tepee.rb Camping application.
Linux works great so I'd like to see if other folks get crashes and
such.

The next release of Mongrel will improve stability and clean up the
final piece of the puzzle:  IO handling.  Right now the IO is just
enough to make Mongrel useful.  Suggestions on what the HttpResponse
class should support are more than welcome.  Also interested in
people's thoughts on file uploading and caching.

== Examples

Since I know none of you will *ever* read the docs first, here's a
simple example:

   require 'mongrel'

   server = Mongrel::HttpServer.new("0.0.0.0", 3000)
   server.register("/stuff", Mongrel::Error404Handler.new("GO AWAY!"))
   server.run.join

This will service any /stuff requests with "GO AWAY!" and a 404.
Writing a service handler is pretty easy, but you gotta write your
own raw HTTP response.  That will improve soon.

There's also an example Camping application in examples/tepee.rb
which was given to me by technoweenie.

== RubyForge

I've requested a RubyForge project for Mongrel, something I haven't
done in the past.  We'll see how it goes.

== It's ALPHA Geek

Remember, this is totally ALPHA work.  Don't run a nuclear reactor
with it, but do shoot me crashes, bug reports, anything.  Especially
when running examples/tepee.rb with lots of connections.  This file
will bomb hard when overloaded on OSX but not Linux.  I'd like
testing on other platforms if possible.

== Thanks

Special thanks to all the folks who have tested it out so far, and
especially why for writing Camping.  It's a good first test of
running a "real" framework under Mongrel.  Also thanks to
technoweenie for giving me a first cut of tepee.rb to work with.

If I missed anyone then I'll catch you on the next release (which
will probably be tomorrow as people find bugs).

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/