------art_1634_25024757.1138139198623

On 1/24/06, Greg Lorriman <temp / lorriman.com> wrote:

> Its not enough 'though; the performance problem in 1.8.2 is of
> elephantine proportions. Someone here also suggested, some time ago,
> that WIN32OLE has 100% cpu usage even when idle?!? Was that a hoax (I
> haven't tried testing for that)? That might go some way to explaining
> my problems.

Well, I'm not seeing it. I'm messing around with ADO thru WIN32OLE in an IRB
session, and it's been holding the ADO connection open for a few days now,
and it's not running a load higher than the usual Windows 2000 background
noise.

Which version of Excel are you using?

Have you compared your ruby scripts with the same code in (barf) VBScript?

Ruby fakes early binding, but it's still doing late binding, vis a vis
Visual Basic. Try out your VB code with an explicit reference to the Excel
library (early binding), and with late binding (i.e., dim xl as object : set
xl = CreateObject("Excel.Application")) and see if there's a difference,
because there should be.

Anyone one else experiencing this, apart from the odd posts to this