simonh wrote:
> Couldn't post a reply on Daves site so thought i'd post one here. Here
> is post:
>
> http://blogs.pragprog.com/cgi-bin/pragdave.cgi/Random/Imitation.rdoc
>
> I think this is happening a lot. 37signals has been ripped off
> according to DHH (I believe), rails has inspired many 'best ever, just
> what you were looking for' web frameworks. I think it is a fact of
> life. Selection of the Fittest in action. The unworthy will surely
> perish as they always do.

How many people or companies create anything out of thin air?  How much
is simply the influence of the extant culture and available technology,
and how much is raw innovation? When does influence become "ripping off"?

If you take an idea from one person, it's stealing,  but imitate what
two people are doing, and you're just following common practice.   Go
figure.

--
James Britt

"Blanket statements are over-rated"