Yes, we intend to eventually wrap Java's zlib functionality, to allow
for the best performance. The biggest piece we really need is the
Ruby-facing library...the Zlib module and the classes, methods, and
constants it contains. We've started roughing these out by hand with
the intention of backing them using Java's zlib support, but if there
were any existing impl or simple way to generate stubbed code it would
save us a lot of time.

- Charlie