On 1/19/06, Lugovoi Nikolai <meadow.nnick / gmail.com> wrote:> ==ICU4R v.0.1.0  - initial release ==>> = Abstract>> ICU4R is an attempt to provide better Unicode support for Ruby, based> on ICU library.What are we missing in Ruby now?
> = Features>> ICU4R is  Ruby C-extension binding for ICU library.> It is NOT mirroring full ICU object hierarchy, but is rather set of simple> interfaces for some practically useful functionality, and provides:>>     - UString : String-like class with internal UTF16 storage;What is that cool about UTF16? You still can get multiword charactresbut the encoding is no longer byte-order independent.>     - UCA rules for UString comparisons (<=>, casecmp);>     - Unicode regular expressions;I guess we do not have this in Ruby yet but I never tried :)>     - encoding(codepage) conversion;I thought this is there somewhere - some iconv thingy or something.>     - Unicode normalization;>     - access to resource bundles, including ICU locale data;>     - transliteration, also rule-based;Wow, does this mean I could read Russian in Latin characters? That wayI could probably understand about half of it :)
>> Bunch of locale-sensitive functions:>     - upcase/downcase;>     - string collation;>     - string search;>     - iterators over text line/word/char/sentence breaks;>     - message formatting (number/currency/string/time);>     - date and number parsing.
I suspect there are poeple who use this - I only recently switched toen_US.UTF-8 locale from C so that I can read some funny charaters andstill enjoy interfaces not clobbered by translation :)

It looks like some features can be useful. I should try it when I getto something that needs some of those funny characters.
Thanks
Michal
--             Support the freedom of music!Maybe it's a weird genre  ..  but weird is *not* illegal.Maybe next time they will send a special forces commandoto your picnic .. because they think you are weird. www.music-versus-guns.org  http://en.policejnistat.cz