On 2006-01-22, Mark Volkmann <r.mark.volkmann / gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to understand usage of file.flock(File::LOCK_SH)
> ... What's the point of a lock if it isn't locking anybody else out?

A shared lock locks out anyone who wants an exclusive lock.  Typically
you want an exclusive lock for writing to a file and a shared lock for
reading it.  That's because it's OK for several people to read a file
simultaneously, but if someone wants to write to it then no-one else
should be allowed to read *or* write, otherwise hilarity may ensue.

Cheers,

Jeremy Henty