Noob question here.

No intent to impugn Zed's mad skilz or the need for something like
Mongrel.  I'm just confused by why it would be common to develop or
deploy a ruby on rails app with something other than production servers
like Apache.

So far, all of the rails demos I have seen are using webrick.  This has
been true even for setups like macosx that come with apache already set
up and running.

Does apache not come standard with everything needed to serve a rails
app?  If not, is there an add-on module for apache that makes it
rails-savvy?

Or is it the case that all rails apps have to be served by a special
rails server like mongrel or webrick?

thanks,
jp