--Apple-Mail-1-659987107
	charset5;
	formatwed

Hi Tom,

I do a lot of work in the standalone kiosk market and because of that I nd up writing backends for Flash quite often. Ruby is excellent for
the task because of its easy integration with C (thus hooking into
hardware is a snap) and... well..., it's Ruby :-)

Depending on how you are managing your backend the whole rails stack
might not be necessary. I'd certainly use ActiveRecord for persistence ut all you really need is a TCP socket server that Flash can talk to. he Flash itself can be served via static HTML pages (or within a Rails ased website).

Check out the Pickaxe documentation for the TCP libraries and do a
little googling, that should get you started.

Unfortunately I can't post the stuff that I work on in that area
because it's commercial and I'd be killed by ravening management types.

Cheers
Scott