On Friday 20 January 2006 12:33 pm, Michael Schoen wrote:

> Cool stuff. Is the intent that this enables an even more straightforward
> approach for running apps (such as a RoR app) than scgi under lighttpd?
> Ie., rather than scgi under lighttpd, just use mod_proxy?
>
> Did you read this post, where Mark Mayo wonders why the newer frameworks
> haven't just been using an http interface (and instead have struggled
> with fcgi)?

When running IOWA apps under webrick, one can do exactly this.  I don't do
that for production apps, however, because the performance penalty.  Even
with the socket overhead, Apache or lighttpd with fcgi, or Apache with
mod_ruby are both substantially faster.

If mongrel proves fast enough, though, using a proxy approach would become a
very viable alternative for production apps.

Kirk Haines